|30 Jun 2003 - 2 Jul 2003||All day||Newnham College, Cambridge|
Newnham College, Cambridge
Conference organised by CRASSH and the Faculty of Philosophy
This conference is being organised by Professor D. H. Mellor and Dr Hallvard Lillehammer under the auspices of CRASSH and the Faculty of Philosophy, with additional support from the Analysis Trust, Blackwell Publishing, the Aristotelian Society, the British Society for the Philosophy of Science and the Mind Association.
The conference is being held to celebrate the work of Frank Ramsey in the centenary year of his birth. Ramsey died in 1930, just before his 27th birthday; yet in his short life he became one of the greatest Cambridge philosophers, while also making the most profound and original contributions to logic, mathematics and economics. His work in all these areas remains extraordinarily, and increasingly, influential, as the range of topics and speakers at the conference attests.
While mainly for philosophers, the conference will also address other work of Ramsey's that is still of philosophical interest. The papers are by leading philosophers, economists, logicians and others influenced by Ramsey's work and life. Their topics range from Ramsey theory and the foundations of mathematics, the metaphysics of properties, facts, truth, laws, causation and probability, through the use of Ramsey sentences in defining mental states, to links between his theory of saving and inter-generational equity. The papers as a whole will constitute a state-of-the-art demonstration of Ramsey's continued relevance to a wide range of disciplines.
* Simon Blackburn (University of Cambridge)
* Pierre Cruse (University of Louvain-la-Neuve)
* Partha Dasgupta (University of Cambridge)
* Jérôme Dokic (CNRS, Institut Jean Nicod)
* Pascal Engel (Université Paris Sorbonne, Institut Jean Nicod)
* Dorothy Edgington (Birkbeck College, University of London)
* Hartry Field (New York University)
* John Forrester (University of Cambridge)
* Daniel Isaacson (University of Oxford)
* Frank Jackson (Australian National University)
* Fraser MacBride (University of St Andrews)
* Hugh Mellor (University of Cambridge)
* Michael Potter (University of Cambridge)
* Peter Sullivan (University of Stirling)
* Wlodek Rabinowicz (University of Lund)
For a provisional timetable, click here. To download a booking form, click on the following links (RTF or Word format). For any further information, please contact Mary-Rose Cheadle at CRASSH (email: email@example.com; tel: 01223-766886).
Frank Ramsey: a radio portrait 'Better than the stars' was first broadcast in 1978. Professor Mellor has made this broadcast available online (by kind permission of the BBC).
Ramsey Centenary – Cambridge and Vienna: Conference at the University of Vienna, 28-29 November 2003
Ramsey Centenary Conference – Croyance, probabilité et vérité: at the Université Paris IV Sorbonne, 24-25 October 2003