|12 Jun 2013||12:00pm - 2:00pm||CRASSH, Alison Richard Building, SG2 (ground floor)|
This event has unfortunately had to be cancelled and will not be rescheduled this term.
A CRASSH Postdoctoral Researcher Forum workshop jointly organised with the Careers Service and the Researcher Development Programme at PPD
The event is free to attend but registration is required. Please click on the link at the right hand side of the page to register your place.
Mentoring Programme 2013
Workshop 2: Panel discussion – perspectives & future actions
Wednesday 12 June 2013, 12:00-14:00; venue, CRASSH.
Lunch will be provided.
A variety of institutional and national studies show that mentoring is high on many researchers’ wish lists when asked about the kinds of academic and career support that they would like, but the scope and effectiveness of mentoring schemes is still patchy. There is also evidence to suggest that many researchers are unsure how to make the most out of mentors when they are offered them. This three-part programme aims to explore some of the assumptions that underpin the ways we approach mentoring, as well as providing support for initiating active mentoring, including peer-to-peer mentoring. The final workshop also seeks, as part of a discussion with other academics, to map out future directions for a more sustained mentoring environment in the University.
What will you get out of this workshop?
- Ideas about what mentoring can be, plus tips for how to make it what you want and need.
- Feedback from other researchers on their experiences of the value of peer-to-peer mentoring.
- The opportunity to hear from, and talk to, other academics about their perspectives on mentoring.
- Strategies for making effective approaches to prospective mentors.
What if you haven’t taken part in the peer mentoring programme?
That’s not a problem. You are welcome to attend either or both of the workshops, with no obligation. Each workshop is booked separately.
Structure of the programme
- 22 April 2013 (12:00-14:30): Workshop 1: Mentoring – myths, assumptions & solutions
- Between 22 April – 12 June: Putting mentoring into practice, 1 x 60 min discussion
- 12 June 2013 (12:00-14:00): Workshop 2: Panel discussion – perspectives & future actions
For administrative enquiries please contact Naomi Hilton.