CRASSH wishes to appoint two visiting fellows, each for a term, to research the topic of conversion in the Early Modern period. Conversion is to be understood in its broadest possible sense, and not merely as a religious phenomenon. We are especially but not solely interested also in the topography of conversion, conversion and music, conversion in science and alchemy, conversion and metamorphosis. Fellows will be expected to work on a project connected to the theme of conversion, to contribute to the interdisciplinary, collaborative international project Early Modern Conversions: Religions, Cultures, Cognitive Ecologies by participating in the events of the network sponsored by CRASSH, and to contribute to the interdisciplinary work of CRASSH through participation in its work in progress seminar. CRASSH will provide for the cost of return travel to the Centre, accommodation and a workspace. There is no salary attached to these positions.
Applicants must have been awarded a PhD and should have an established record of scholarly excellence and a demonstrated enthusiasm for working in an interdisciplinary or multi-disciplinary environment. Please note, the scheme is not designed for those beyond the normal retirement age or to support post-doctoral study.
How to Apply
No paper or emailed applications can be accepted. In order for your application to be considered by the Selection Committee, we must receive a completed application via the online application system, including letters of support from your two nominated referees, by the deadline, noon on Friday 30 October 2015.
Register or log into your application here. Please contact us via email on fellowships@CRASSH.cam.ac.uk if you experience technical difficulties with the system or if you require further information about eligibility or provision.
Type directly into the appropriate fields:
1. Project title
2. Term preferences (click here for University term dates)
3. A brief description of the research to be undertaken, indicating how this research may relate to the theme of conversion (not to exceed 1,000 words). Type your description directly into the box indicated, remembering to Save after each addition/amendment. The system will not allow you to exceed the word limit.
4. The contact details of two referees who are familiar with your work. We advise that you separately alert your nominated referees of your application and the deadline. Referees are given access to your application via an email containing a link that is triggered by your clicking the Send Email button. Once you've ticked the Send Email button, the system will contact your nominated referee, who must submit their reference via this system by the deadline. If referees are unable to provide a reference by the deadline you will be alerted and will need to nominate an alternative referee. The system will indicate when your references have been submitted. (Applicants are unable to view confidential references.) You may amend your nominated referees up to the point of their submitting a confidential reference. Once your referee submits their confidential comments you will no longer be able to change their details.
The following additional information will be required:
▪ a CV to be uploaded as a PDF file (maximum 8Mb);
▪ a sample chapter of written work, to be uploaded as a PDF file (maximum 8Mb).